This blog is a tribute to this grand home and all those who who have ties to Laurelwood. As the grandaughter of Jasper Hampton Campbell who purchased Laurelwood in 1908, I have many wonderful memories as a young child visiting Laurelwood. We fondly called it "The Big House". There were Easter egg hunts on the front lawn, Christmas celebrations, Sunday dinners, and a lot of time rocking in the rocking chairs on the front porch as my aunts shared stories about life on the Laurelwood plantation. They talked to us about their experiences and shared stories that their parents told them of life and happenings in the lower richland area. Many of these stories have been forgotten. I hope to bring these great stories back to life and preserve them just as Laurelwood is being brought back to life and preserved. There are hidden treasures to be revealed. A legacy to be handed down and passed on.
Let me help you look past the physical imperfections that you notice on first glance to see the hidden beauty that's just waiting to be revealed once again. The stories and information shared here will link the past to the present. There is much to be learned and many memories to share so that all can see the true beauty of ....Laurelwood.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

I found some old photos recently of the Big House and some of the times that I spent there that I wanted to share from way back when.......

 Would you look at my outfit!!!!!! That's me in the front with the long hair and my brother Doug and my cousin (on my mother's side) in between.  We were standing in front of the house. I was 13! Yes! Way back when.......
 Here I am as a baby with my mother holding me. We were on the front steps of the Big House (Laurelwood). This was taken in 1963.
 In 1989 me and Aunt Margaret were at the kitchen table.  We had been discussing silverware patterns.  She had pulled out some of the family silverware and we were going over the many different styles that there were, formal, informal, casual etc.  I attribute many of my southern graces from my aunts.
 Another photo of me and Aunt Margaret in the formal living room.  I used to love the painting that is behind us. I want to say that it was painted by a family member but I don't know for sure. I just remember that I used to like to look at it. I wonder what happened to it.
Here is a rare photo of me and my Daddy also taken in the formal living room. I am the youngest of five so there weren't a lot of photos of me. In fact this might just be the only photo I have of me and my Daddy.  I would love to see some more family photos, so if you are reading this blog and you have any photos of the Big House (Laurelwood) and family I would love to share them.  Also, if you have any stories or memories please contact me.

2 comments:

  1. Myra Grace, This is Archie, Margaret Ann's husband. I really enjoyed reading your blog about the Big House. I have been saddened in recent years to see the shape it was in. I saw it when we took Margaret's ashes down there to bury them at McLeods church and again when two of our grandsons and I went down to inspect the tomb stone to be sure that it was what Lynne ordered. I am writing to tell you that the painting in the living room that you commented about was done by Margaret Ann. She painted it before we were married (1964) as a gift for the aunts. I have often wondered what happened to the china cabinet in the dinning/sitting room. That was one of myfavorite pieces in the house. I always liked that house very much and enjoyed the many hours we spent there. I have been trying to remember your siblings names but I guess I am having an old person's lack of memory. The only one I can remember is Douglas, and if I remember correctly he was the oldest. I am thinking that you had two sisters and two brothers and that your younger brother died a number of years ago. Are the others still living? If you don't mind sending me an e-mail, my address is aritchie@nc.rr.com. Thanks for the visit to yesteryear. Archie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Archie! I am thrilled to hear from you!!! I sent you an email. I am so glad you let me know that Margaret Ann painted the picture. I thought that it was her painting but wasnt sure. She was very talented and creative! It is wonderful to re-connect with you. Check your email. Blessings! Myra Grace

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you!!!!