This blog is a tribute to this grand home and all those who who have ties to Laurelwood. As the grandaughter of Jasper Hampton Campbell who purchased Laurelwood in 1908, I have many wonderful memories as a young child visiting Laurelwood. We fondly called it "The Big House". There were Easter egg hunts on the front lawn, Christmas celebrations, Sunday dinners, and a lot of time rocking in the rocking chairs on the front porch as my aunts shared stories about life on the Laurelwood plantation. They talked to us about their experiences and shared stories that their parents told them of life and happenings in the lower richland area. Many of these stories have been forgotten. I hope to bring these great stories back to life and preserve them just as Laurelwood is being brought back to life and preserved. There are hidden treasures to be revealed. A legacy to be handed down and passed on.
Let me help you look past the physical imperfections that you notice on first glance to see the hidden beauty that's just waiting to be revealed once again. The stories and information shared here will link the past to the present. There is much to be learned and many memories to share so that all can see the true beauty of ....Laurelwood.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Two weeks from today is the Laurelwood Family Gathering.  I am really looking forward to seeing relatives of the Campbell family and meeting and getting to know those who are coming from my "Laurelwood Family".  It is pretty amazing that a home can connect so many people's lives together. I am anxious to meet the members of the Seay family.  Their ancestor James Seay was the original builder of the home who constructed Laurelwood possibly around 1830 and may have called it the Sandhills Plantation according to Mike Bedenbaugh of the Palmetto Trust. Some recent documents that I have seen however make me wonder if the plantation may have been called Shady Grove at one time.  I would love it if someone has some more information about that thought and could share with me. But, concerning the get together, I am also anxious to meet the relatives that are coming that I have never met before but have been in contact with through this blog.  I also can hardly wait to meet the new owners who will be reviving and restoring Laurelwood.  I know that they are going to love this home as much as I do.
  I received a great photo a few weeks ago of my Uncle Calvin along with another cousin of ours, Nancy.  My Uncle Calvin is my father's brother and the last child who is living of Jasper Hampton and Minnie Campbell.  He was in town recently and I hope he will be able to make it back for the gathering. It has been 23 years since I have seen him and I would love the chance to get to talk with him again.
 I plan to take a lot of photos during the get together and do a blog post about it following the event so make sure you stop back by the blog in a few weeks.  Of course, you are welcome anytime but how about leave me a comment and let me know you dropped by.

7 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I'm a New York Yankee whose heart is in the south. Researching old historic homes in the south -- dreaming of moving my family there someday. So happy to see someone has purchased your lovely family home. And what a lovely home! She deserves to be restored to her former glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, Thanks for your sweet comment! We have a lot in common. I stopped by your blog as well and like you I also like gardening & love growing herbs. Keep up the work on the blog, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to see the house is going to be restored. My name is Jim Motley and have been told recently a distant cousin named Robert Motley (son of Benjamin and Mary Moak Motley who was brother to my grandfather William both sons of Henry Motley and Sarah Jackson Motley). If you have any information about Henry or Sarah as to what happened to the plantation left to them from John Motley in 1871 on the Wateree River and Spears creek or where they might be buried or anything other for that matter it would be appreciated.

    We would love to come to your reunion but cannot get that way until the last weekend of the month. My email is jim@shopOFL.com, would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog while researching historic homes that are currently for sale. I guess Laurelwood is under contract but it was still listed. I have been reading through your blog posts and really enjoying your story. I live in Southern California but I am a southern belle at heart, I think. Enjoy your reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle Malphrus WaittApril 15, 2011 at 10:22 PM

    Myra, this is such a beautiful tribute to your family home. I have a special family place, too, that I love, and fortunately it has been restored by my Aunt Gloria, in Robertville, SC. The house belonged to my grandparents and has many special memories for us. I will have to tell my Aunt about the way you have kept the memories alive for your special place . . she doesn't "blog" but I might be interested in setting something up to remember our old family home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle! I am so glad you saw the blog and dropped by! Thanks for the lovely comment too. I am so glad to hear your family home was restored and that it's still in the family. The blog has been great and has opened up so many opportunities to get to know family I didn't know that I had, to re-connect with family, and to find out a lot of historical information that others had and were willing to share. It's like finding little bits of treasure along the journey! So consider setting up a blog for your Aunt & be sure to send me the link. I would LOVE to see it. From one southern belle to another....Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patrice Scott scottp@bc.eduOctober 18, 2011 at 8:04 AM

    Just found your blog during some family research. My paternal family is from Eastover, and my grandfather worked for A. B Campbell as a farmer according to his draft registration card (1917). They lived on Hgwy 601 now known as McCord Ferry Road and the area of Old McGraw Road where the cemetery for the Trinity Church is located. Is there a way we can possibly share information since I am trying to knock a few brick walls.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you!!!!